This is what happened within the last two weeks, which has led me to decide on the idea of my first recording of the year:
- My original tipper (the beater for the bodhrán) broke! You've noticed how light-coloured it was; it was one made of pine, so it was relatively soft. When I went to Stonyhurst on a conference not too long ago, the second night was a dance night -- a céilidh night -- and I brought the bodhrán. To avoid it being abused, or to avoid huge amoungs of people finding out that the bodhrán belonged to me, I took the tipper with me, and had it with me when I went dancing. Sadly, it fell... and someone, I don't know who, accidentally trod on it. It snapped in two, and Seán tried gluing it back together, only for it to come out again. I still have the "halves" of the tipper, for lack of a better word.
- I was given an 8" bodhrán. It really sounds quite high and tinny, but I can still play it alright. Thing is, that 8" was a souvenir. The minimum recommended size for a performer's bodhrán is 12". But hey: if I can still get a sound out of it, it's worth using!
- I've got a new tipper... a rosewood one. It's heavy, it hurts my middle finger if I don't hold it correctly, but my word, it makes a marvellous sound. It's bringing out the bass more than ever.
So let's see what I've got for this recording.
- 18" bodhrán, rosewood tipper, for the bass.
- 8" bodhrán, pine tipper (I THINK), for supplementary rhythms.
- The two halves of my first tipper, which I can click against each other for supplementary rhythms.
- Bells. You've heard them in one of my previous improvisations.
- A guitar. I have a good mind to learn a few chords, to begin with. If I can't, I'll use a few notes.
Sounds like fuel for a medieval-sounding piece, eh?
With all these, I would like to bring to light a composition from one friend here on NG, who has loads of potential and wonderful ideas in his head. Bardash's first ever piece is Dance in the Emerald Forest -- and I'd long wanted to make a rendition of that piece and share it with all of you.
I'm not sure when the recording will be out. But I'll try and get it out by January. I have to accept the prospect that sometimes, it may not even come out at the time that I hope. However, I want to do my best with it.
So, I hope you're buzzing for it as much as I am! ^_^
Ta for now,