All 50 art Reviews

The Flash The Flash

Colours-wise, this one looks.... alright. A bit washed-out for the Flash's taste, but okay. I like that you added some shading lines on the F and on the top right side of the image; those would be better suited as the image of speed, those trail lines that you draw right behind the Flash as he moves.

As far as the drawing goes though, your proportions are really out of wack. It'd be okay if you were doing a caricature of the Flash, but considering what this is meant to be.... no, it's not okay.

I think a number of people have responded to your thread, and a few have asked you to study anatomy. I cannot emphasise this enough.

L33t agent cycle of life L33t agent cycle of life

That beginning screen reminds me of that one GameCube game with the subtitle of 'Sanity's Requiem' that basically messed up with your mind. Well done.

The Last Unicorn Amalthea screen-cap redraw &amp;lt;3 The Last Unicorn Amalthea screen-cap redraw <3

The redraw reminds me of what Naoko Takeuchi did with the Sailor Moon manga -- similar hair, similar eyes, similar mouth. It brings nostalgia to me somehow.

Dilute Dilute

The colour is a bit rough, but I love the idea behind this. Also you clearly mark out darks and lights. From this I can tell that this person's meant to have shiny muscle tissue of sorts, shiny eyes and a shiny ooze at the centre where the heart's meant to be. Good going!

The Bounty hunter The Bounty hunter

Amazing, but inaccurate. Artistically, I cannot dispute with this one at all. You've nailed the colours, everything.

Inaccuracies I can't help but point out:

1. Unless someone is a god-tier player, Samus should be wearing the Varia Suit by now (if this is the original Metroid) or the Gravity Suit (Super Metroid). The Power Suit would drain her health more quickly than you can say "Metroid."

2. Her gun extends to about 2/3 of her hand, if not half. I don't see it here at all.

3. Mother Brain had a visible eye. It seems to have gone missing.

All that still doesn't take away from the fact that this is an amazing piece. Keep it up!

InsolentMinx responds:

Thanks for reviewing :D

Art Inspired Music 2016 Art Inspired Music 2016

This looks like my aesthetic to a degree -- bold lines, semi-tribal look, equally bold colours. I gravitated to this drawing (and the thumbnail for it) as soon as I saw it -- well done!

Scarlet Devil Scarlet Devil

Sigh. Seriously try harder...

One of the ways in which people have told me to improve and therefore make stellar drawings is to look at proportions, and then eventually stylise them (that's how you get cartoon styles -- first understanding anatomy, and then applying it to your own drawing style).

Then comes the lighting. MY WORD is there none. Eventually we'll cover lighting and how to go about it.

Thirdly, there's no distinguishing between the foreground and the background. And lastly... Japanese characters / Chinese characters are written in strokes which are quick, and therefore will not be curved.

I'll PM you just what I'm talking about, with an explanatory picture as soon as I draw it, so that hopefully, you can take a leaf from it and improve.

NostalgicNerd94 responds:

Small talk, small talk, small talk..... so much small talk..

safe under the watchful eyes safe under the watchful eyes

Magnificent, and at once dystopian. This really sends a chill down my spine, the whole "Safe Under the Watchful Eyes / Smile Always" thing. It's like you're in a land where anything other than happiness is strictly forbidden.

Great work.

The Grill The Grill

It's a really shallow tympanum with lines! (If it's not a grill, that is.)

Bertn1991 responds:

Hehe that's a nice theory.

Nope, it's a drawing of a grill!

You Are Lost You Are Lost

There is something very eerie and ghostly about that painting, and the sign "You Are Lost." I think it's one of your better ones -- the colours work so well, the symbolism is nice, and there's a Final Fantasy X-esque feel about the background and the manner of painting.

Not part of the review, but just a question: is that drumhead going to be played on?

JackDCurleo responds:

Thanks, I was going for isolation and otherworldly with this one. Never played final fantasy but I know they've got some nice art to them so I'll take the compliment.
And no, it won't be played on all the drumheads I paint on are broken. I think the paint would make for a less than stellar sound and the striking of anything would probably chip the paint. Though making one that can be played on could be an interesting idea