View Profile Troisnyx

40 Movie Reviews

Frightening, and otherwise well done. Reminds me of the Realians in Xenosaga and how they've been used as objects and ill-treated by the human population, and how they're fighting for their rights. This could easily apply to anyone, but I'm kinda glad you went with what you did.

And holy wow that was done BY HAND? That is some immense dedication. Respect.

Coutto responds:

Thanks! Yes, done by hand, was very hard, because of i don't have a professional scanner, but i did it! haha

The stylised, rounded look you've got is charming, even if I'm not sure it works with the flames in this short.

Your camera work is spot on. There are some scenes where you have not only nice use of close-ups, but nice use of flashbacks, filters, etc. The music is alright, I wouldn't have chosen differently from what you did.

The content itself feels waaaay too cliché, like this is stuff I've not only heard of, but known to happen well since my early childhood. I mean, I grew up in an area where forest fires for the sake of palm oil plantations were extremely rife, and it's not just to me: to others, I feel like you're preaching to the choir. It makes me think back, the film that attacked this particular subject best was Bambi, and that was predominantly after a relationship was established with the animals and the surroundings, and in one small scene nonetheless.

For things to be impactful, they need to hit hard where, ideally, no one has done before. Otherwise, it'd have to be delivered in a new scenario that no one has thought would impact others before. Protecting the environment is one of our top concerns, and man has the capability to destroy it -- but perhaps a juxtaposition between the good, trying, environmentally friendly person vs the people whose actions bear far more weight and destroy the world?

If you claim to give me uncomfortable truth, then allow me to give you a piece of uncomfortable truth as well.

The animation, the typography, is well done. Maybe not as dynamic as RicePirate's 'Dot Dot Dot', but still clear, and eye-popping, and sombre for the tone of the actual thing.

I will thank you for the truth of Confucius having tried to right wrongs in the people around him, I will thank you for that. I will thank you for pointing out the inner 'comfortable' nature that we tend to slink into as persons.

Aside from that, it gets into some pretty incoherent rambling. I could make neither head or tail of the structure apart from a few glimpses into the subject matter. It changed so quickly between moments. I only got a few sections staying in my head: Confucius' death, governments claiming to be one thing but doing another, people being comfortable, and 'fuck you'. All that didn't even make sense when put together, of course, because there are meant to be things that join them, but they were joined so loosely.

Plus, it fails to take into account:

1) Confucius may have been a good man for his time, but there are many principles of his that are unconscionable in our modern understanding. For example, North Korea is basically a dictatorship BASED ON Confucian thought, and at the helm of it is a complete subordination to one's parents, because you don't choose your parents. That same logic basically causes the Kims to stay in power. That sort of logic, applied in a lesser extent, causes children to not be their own persons and I have had friends who were subjected to that sort of logic, obviously for worse. It justified all sorts of abuse in the name of parents being the 'bosses'. You aren't meant to speak out if they do wrong, because they're your parents -- and that's the long and short of it. And yet, what justifies Confucius saying 'obey your parents like that' and then, speaking out against his country and presumably the Emperor of China?

2) You forget the people who refuse to be comfortable, and go out of their way to make things better for people, only to get fired, murdered, or killed. You put a blanket blame on everyone without realising that some of the people watching... are *precisely* those people who got clandestinely fired, gotten rid of, abused, tortured. I speak as someone who grew up outside of the big G7 or G20 cities and experienced all this first-hand, who had publicly spoken out about things like this, and had to flee due to fear of what would happen to me.

I don't know if you're doing this to really make people better, or to just hurl blame at people for the sake of doing so. I cannot gauge your intention from just watching this. But the strawman in this video is so big, it's the elephant in the room.

Get the full extent of your facts right, and then maybe, just maybe, you'll be on to something at last.

64 Game Reviews

The game itself is decent. There are bits of it that feel disorienting (turns, especially within that really trippy rainbow-coloured level). A lot of it feels like I need to still get used to it. I did get decently far into it for my first few tries, at 1,000+, and I suppose that with a bit of practice, I could get further.

There are some controls that I don't find myself using -- the bunny hops, the drift mode. I feel I'm moving way too quickly in the level to justify using it; steering the craft feels like hard work.

I think the one thing that I would really outwardly call a flaw, a gash in the feel of the game, is the music. The level seems like a cross between F-Zero and Rainbow Road out of Mario Kart games, but the BGM feels anything but -- and there are parts where it's made my head hurt.

Quite a neat little dress-up game, I guess -- though I'd appreciate lots more inserts and options; it just feels still a bit too cookie-cutter for the time being. Anyway, I did my best with what was there and came up with these:

-------

3,3,13,2,2,2,61,30,2,2,2,2
4,3,11,2,2,2,61,30,2,2,2,2

General appearance of a member of a tribe that goes barefooted and unarmed. The creatures of the land of the dead do not touch them. They wear a deathly green, and their hair is black from coal and soot.

They all bear medieval English names, like Aldus and Kinborough and Randel and Tenny and Wybert.

In the case of 2,3,12,2,2,2,62,30,2,20,2,2

As the masks whiten and bleed, and as they temporarily gain the ability to levitate, they interpret it as an omen that one of their own, or someone who associated with them, will die soon. In many cases, it is true, though sometimes, the cause of death can be averted. When Matt and co. venture into the land of the dead, the masks whiten and bleed not for members of these people's tribe... but for Matt and co.

It's a 2048 clone, and quite an addictive one at that. Docked a star because of a bug that's gone uncorrected; any score above 20K causes the game to freeze. You can still submit scores, but you cannot make any moves as soon as you get a certain kind of monster associated with 20K scores.

338 Audio Reviews

Liking the ideas you put in here. I'm loving the actual slides on guitar a lot -- though of course, looking at it now, I'm wondering if it couldn't do with a bit more pizzazz / gravitas.

Are you thinking of revisiting this one anytime soon? I dearly want to hear you expanding upon it, if the mood takes you.

NeoAlchemist247 responds:

Oh, man! I haven’t touched it in... Geez, must be like 10 years now. It had been an experiment in creating a two-handed piano piece (though it turned into this mandolin-sounding thing) back when I couldn’t play with two hands. I liked it so much in the end that I added a third part. I thank GarageBand and the USB synth I was using for the quality of the sounds. But YEAH! The idea of this becoming a larger piece does inspire me quite a bit. I’ll have to try and remember it when I’m getting blocked up mentally sometime.

To be honest, I couldn’t tell you if or when that could happen. I don’t have a synth anymore, which makes composition quite challenging. You are welcome to use the melody/timing in a piece if you feel compelled to do so.

Pssst! Since I’ve already got you on my page- you might also check out my song Jazz Loops. If only because it’s a bit more complex, and somebody compared me to Martin O’Donnell on in the comments, so we share that in common. 😂

That opening is actually pretty atmospheric, reminds me of a jam about to start. The rest of it actually feels like a nice, chilled-out thing that I could happily listen to. There's something about it that reminds me of Stewart Copeland's soundtrack writing for Spyro.

This is one of those tracks that doesn't exactly need to "go" anywhere -- this, however, is one I would like to see extended and looped.

Doritos4ever responds:

Thank you for your feedback! Glad you like it !

The opening is suitably wide and mesmerising.

0:31's lead is too far forward compared to the rest of the mix -- its introduction was sudden. As the piece progressed, it actually did feel like it fit right in. The melody felt in some places like it was singable, and in some places like it was darting a bit here and there.

It's too soon for me to say what I feel about this since you're barely even halfway through this -- though you doubtless know what would need to go into this piece to make it complete. I look forward to hearing the finished work!

mutty99 responds:

The melody needs to be revised from scratch, as do transitions and some of the instruments, like the kick, which in this version is straight up garbage.
The only things I'm fond of are the synth gated progression and the accordions rising; the original idea was to make a summer piece, mashing up tropical and latin sound styles (like in Danza Kuduro) with more modern and processed sounds.

89 Art Reviews

I don't know why this got a low score; the effects and proportions and such are on point. I'd be a bit nitpicky and say the contrast and colours need to pop a little more, but that's just me.

Zerksisms responds:

Thank you very much.

#19: Even *mention* anything about She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or any of her creations or book series; I'm not standing for an avowed transphobe who sends legions of her fans to intimidate, bully and harass trans people.

#20: Give any patronage to the associated store in King's Cross Station, or anywhere associated for that matter.

That face looks majestic! The way it tilted and the smoothness of the linework caught my eye.

nonprofit composer + artist • she/her • loves drums • advocate for emotional literacy in music • meep • EN/FR OK

Annette Singh @Troisnyx