View Profile Troisnyx

All 316 Audio Reviews

216 w/ Responses

This can be Cinematic now, ya know? :D It's got all the makings of a Cinematic piece.

Genre aside: I really enjoyed the song's composition. This is definitely cutscene or trailer material (I'd go with the latter). My only complaint is that in some parts, the choir doesn't come in with a crescendo that would otherwise make it sound more natural -- and listening to this, I can tell the choir's been synthesised. Volume envelopes on the choir perhaps?

4.5/5.

SilverPoyozo responds:

There's a Cinematic genre now!?

Well, I wasn't very good at mixing at the time I made this piece (I still ain't).It really lacks some attacks, volume and the choir can sound very artificial at times, plus there's the EQ...I didn't even know what the hell EQ was.

But thanks for the review.If I ever remake this, I'll address those issues.

As a fellow bodhran player, I heartily approve of this. <3 I have a fascination for Celtic music in general, and this is a rare find on NG.

That tin whistle was just beautiful, and then everything came in to back it up, and that's when my heart skipped a beat. The bodhran stood out to me most, considering I pick out rhythms faster than anything. That having been said: I understand that it's difficult to keep the metrics (the timing) 100% accurate, and that's where practice comes in. I mean it, I make slips like these myself when playing.

4.5/5, half a star docked for metrics, but all in all deserving a high score for authenticity and emotion.

Outstandingly good: the melodies were fleshed out so well with the playing techniques etc. It was a joy to listen to!

My only point of contention would be that at 1:25, considering there's only the melody and the bass, the rest of the strings could be played soft, specato, so that tension can be built. That the keys are rising here means that there has to be some kind of tension built here. The same applies up to 1:25. Only having a bassline and melody makes the piece sound a little empty.

4.5/5. The rest of the piece was outstandingly good that I cannot bring myself to knock off one full star, but I URGE you to pay attention to 1:25 onwards.

0:00-0:16: The intro sounds rather MIDI-ish, has too much reverb and sounds too wet, and doesn't give the sense of urgency that you had when you listened to the original battle. This is a *battle theme* for crying out loud! Give it justice by starting it with a sense of urgency!

0:17-0:23: Those synths sound nice, but the melody which is meant to play in this section is blending too much in the background. Again, too much reverberation from that melody line.

0:24-0:44: The bass and kick drums sound rather too soft; the snare drum is audible over those two, so it really doesn't give that much punch. Without the headset it is audible, but you might want to try turning those up. The plus side here is that the melody is audible, which is great.

0:44-1:04: Another melodic synth comes in, which is a nice change in instrumentation, but you may want to consider *layering* two melodic synths instead. Have one play the main melody just like the previous one, and then have one play the broken chords in the background, so you can hear some sustain. That'd be a nice effect, if you can pull it off. Treat the broken chords like a counter-melody, one that will bring the piece out.

1:04-1:24: There's only the melody and the bass and the drums? This makes the piece anticlimactic, if anything else. A battle theme is supposed to have rising tension, and then when the loop ends, falling tension. Instrument layering and dynamics would've been very much welcome here. There's the occasional synth, but.... it doesn't do much to build up to the climax.

1:25-1:34: HEAVENS NO. The melody is not even audible here! The strings are too blended with the background! The synth is beautiful, with all its echoes, but note: THIS IS THE CLIMAX OF THE PIECE!! Why, why, WHYYYYY is the melody almost inaudible? Why is there not an increase in layering?

1:35: Standard falling tension, which would've worked effectively had you actually taken care to build up the tension throughout the piece.

3:19: Why did the drums not fade? O_O

Some rules of thumb:
1) MELODIES STAND OUT. Countermelodies, while they are slightly in the background, can help flesh your piece out a whole lot more. That's why THEY'RE LOUDER than everything else!

2) Dynamics and instrument layering. Essentially your loud and soft, and also how many instruments play in a piece at once. This can help with rising and falling tension. Without these, the piece would (and does) soudn bland and tasteless.

3) As I mentioned in a previous review of one of your pieces: with video game music, the pieces that stand out have originality to them to varying degrees. A lot of them have the composer's personal touch, and wouldn't be note-for-note replicas of the video game themes. This one, however, is a note-for-note replica, I can pick out every note as the exact same as the original. With these video game themes we want to hear *you* -- we want to hear how you can TRANSFORM this theme into something that only you can create. Think about the good video game remixes on the interwebs: they go by that same principle.

2/5.

The mix throughout almost entirely borrows sounds/note patterns from the original, which doesn't sit too well with most of us. While it is a faithful recreation of Butter Building, we want to hear *you*, what makes this remix or cover *yours*.

The first half of the remix has those fast drums (quickstep), and honestly..... quickstep with an already busy-ish melody doesn't sit right... Perhaps it does make Kirby look like he's walking like a tubby ol' bear across the level, which is great, until you realise that there's a lot going on that you don't want to stifle the melody or the synths at the back.

The second half of the remix, the part that begins with the A chord, sounds simply beautiful, but again, as I said, it's a faithful recreation of the remix -- and I insist upon hearing a personal touch to video game remixes, simply because there are a lot of them out there and some must stand out above others.

No complaints about mixing, as I heard all the instruments in their proper place.

cmperry1984 responds:

wll you know what, i could care less what you insist on because, in my own opinion if you are going to make a remix you should be faithful to the source material.

As for genres: pick the closest to Indietronica as possible.

I love the varied chords; these have been the hook for me. The synths are dreamy, but hey, isn't that your style after all? :D Only pickle I have is with the quality of the keys, but it's a rather minor detail -- coming someone who has been used to the best, even in soundfont format (read: Steinway & Sons). Were you intending to use a bright piano for this, or a slightly mellower tone?

I'd love to hear the finished song soon!

DreamForecast responds:

Haha, which is . . . Miscellaneous. x)

Thank you very much, I had a lot of fun with the chords, yes. :D
Ooohhh, yesss... I was actually going for a mellower tone but I couldn't achieve it. xD
During the process of creating this, the thing that really killed me was the piano. Ouch. I had a really hard time finding a piano sound I have that fits, haha. It also sounds stiff too. But I smirked and thought, "Maybe I'll get away with it ... No one will notice, hehehe." Looks like someone did. That's good though. I've almost totally forgotten about it, but now I have an even better reason now to go find better piano synths, haha. So thanks. ;D

Glad you liked it, and thanks for your review! :)

Nice piano intro, and I like the buildup after at, especially when the kick drum comes in. I love the sound of that kick drum <3 And here, I notice you've gone into a new melody after the first one. It transitions back to the main melody very well, and there's also a bit of instrument layering when that happens.

One thing I notice right off the bat is that there's no volume variation between the notes. Now, I've made this mistake too, with my older submissions. Whatever software you use, there should be some volume control thing (lines below the piano roll) which you can left-click manually or hold the left-click button and pass your mouse through.

The main melody repeats itself quite a lot, so why not add a bit of variation to the main melody? Keeping the chords as they are, but variation makes a change in how much a piece hooks a listener.

Also, I notice that the separate parts (basses, drums etc.) come in without any sort of buildup: they come in abruptly, but really, that's due to volume control. Learning to make a volume envelope for when they come in and when they go out (so that they may fade in / fade out) will be very, very useful here.

Solid effort; build up where the piece is found wanting and you'll have yourself a good piece in no time.

3.5/5.

Right off the bat, I notice an improvement from the last section, with more varied chords (and inversions), with STILL a more memorable melody...

Again, however, I notice that this is a few-second loop which could've been wrapped around itself during exporting: to have it as long as 4mn 16s would mean, we listeners expect buildup, instrument layering, dynamics changes, a bridge... before going back to the main theme.

3.5/5.

Props for getting the chords, metrics etc. musically correct.

Granted, I'm aware this is a chiptune, but... here we find a few composition no-nos:

1) A loop that lasts for a few seconds, which DOES NOT BUILD UP with any layers of instrumentation, differing chords or sections, or even differing melody lines or dynamics,
2) And all that, coupled with a I - V - vi - IV chord sequence, which a lot of mainstream pieces are guilty of.

Even if this were an end theme with cutscenes or credits, part of what makes the piece memorable is not only the melody, it's the buildup: what goes into the substance of the piece. Let me give you a good example: Ashes of Dreams from Nier. Or even, the credits theme for Kingdom Hearts 1 (Capriccio I forget what the rest of the title is). Both of them have a recognisable melody, like yours. But what makes them stand out is that they tell a story. Every piece that tells a story must ACT like a story: it must build up, have a climax and a resolution -- and this piece has neither.

2/5.

The speed, the trance feel of this piece, and just the fast counter-melodies of this piece -- it all reminds me of something out of Touhou. Beautiful.

Pronounced "trwa-nix." I dream up meepy dreams full of meep.
Currently doing things nonprofit.

Annette Singh @Troisnyx