View Profile Troisnyx

All 316 Audio Reviews

216 w/ Responses

Intro reminds me of something out of Xenoblade Chronicles. Perhaps the title is also influencing me.

I love that melody that introduces itself early on: it's memorable, it's singable, and I could catch myself singing it. You've injected a lot of emotion into them that it feels as though the instruments themselves are being made to sing. I'm aware that this is your outlook with a lot of your instrumental music, and I'm glad to see it being put to use.

You've also introduced techniques in here that rarely get used in the vast majority of cinematic pieces I've heard, the trombone slide being the most notable one to me.

You've kept this piece varied enough to sound like it goes a fair way against the grain. Also, key changes are my weakness: that F# minor section was very, VERY good. The transition back to the original key was seamless and barely noticeable -- sometimes, simplicity speaks a lot louder, and you used it quite well.

All in all, solid effort. Well done.

The melody is a quirky one -- some parts feel like they're meandering, but some parts feel memorable. That being said, I'm not quite sure what to think about this beginning section -- it doesn't quite hold my attention well.

THOSE CHORDS ON THE PIANO ARE JUST PERFECTION. THOSE 7THS. And leading up to "I wanna be with you every day", that satisfied me. From the instrumental breakdown onwards, you certainly got my head turning, and I'm glad that I didn't regret listening to this and stop it right away -- because I could get lost in this longer bit of the piece.

4:26 has the chords of "I wanna be with you every day" but the verse lyrics, and I like that switch-up of things.

I haven't got complaints regarding mixing preferences -- it feels like the drier kind of trance that has sounds popping up on my left and my right, and takes me back to some older Japanese V2 and V3 pieces.

littlemusicboy1628 responds:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. <3

I like how it opens up -- it feels like bubbles, like an experiment at its beginnings. Or someone in stasis being monitored. It gives me that feel.

The drums are spot-on; the way they're done here remind me of a number of Sting songs. They feel quite natural and don't demarcate the 5/8 in stereotypical ways. I have no complaints about the mixing or the production.

You've experimented with quite a few textures and different ways of feeling, all the while using just two chords. There's a lot of variation and dynamism packed into the 1'50" of this piece. For what it is, it is well done -- I would, however, love to hear you expand on this a *lot* more as there are several different directions I could see this going into, and it does feel quite unfinished to me. The music feels like it's attempting to tell me a story, but it's been cut short -- and it's just the kind that I want to sit down and listen to intently from start to end.

I could see further diversion into other odd signatures as it expands (7/8, seamless 10/8 or others that I haven't mentioned), breaks and lifts in the tension that are only teased here.

vocaloutburst responds:

Hahaha hearing you say that it feels unfinished and it needs more means that my plan worked PERFECTLY!!! This track is apart of a series where I make an instrumental track for the purpose of others adding whatever they want on top of it! Also that 7/8 or 10/8 idea sounds wild...I must experiment XD

Lyrics are incredibly strong and simple; music is well mixed but I feel it could use a touch more gravitas to complement the severity of the lyrics.

Incidentally, I spent much of my early evening watching all of 2001: A Space Odyssey and I am reminded of HAL, and the starkness and eerie quality of what he says is complemented either by silence or by fitting ambience that sounds fairly eerie -- I guess I'd have loved to hear this here because the words themselves can send a shudder down the spine.

FairSquare responds:

Hmm, yeah, i haven't made music in such a long time so to get back into it i wanted to start simple. I get what you mean that the music could be a bit more complementary to the lyrics. Overall the lyrics are what i'm most proud of in this creation.
The HAL thing is quite a coincidence btw, haha.
Thank you for the feedback!

So many bleeps and bloops 👀

I'm listening without headphones and I have no complaints about the production. Will probably edit review once I've heard it on headphones; also, apologies for my lacklustre reviewing.

The wobbling lead, that thing ascending and descending, that stays with me. It's not every day that I can say that I actually do remember an EDM song seemingly made for the clubs — most of these seem to be made for the moment. This one, though, I don't know why, stays with me a fair bit after the song is over.

It's Ludum "Dare," as in the English word "dare." 😂

Very, very nice features indeed. Gives me lots of works and people to keep an eye out for. On the part of your commentary, I love that you keep it down to earth. No frills, just the emotion in your voice.

Thanks for the shout-out; I quite enjoyed our little collab.

Xinxinix responds:

Same here!! I had so much fun drawing it! ^^

Stellar lineup and commentary and voice acting on the part of all involved!

By the way, the track from Astgaban that got featured was *not* composed by me, but by Lystrialle, and it is not Astgaban either. It was Dawn - The Sophian Principle.

Xinxinix responds:

Right! It's the first song off of Astgaban, and I apologize. I was referencing the album the entire time and paid no attention to the song name.

Forgive me!

Voice is EQ'd well. Hearing the voice and the rhythm fall in time with the synth was a bit of work; on the phone and occasionally on the PC it felt as though they were being mistimed with each other (PC soundcard has higher frequencies).

I like the filter fun a lot.

Not sure what to make of the lyrics; they feel conflicting to me I guess, but maybe it's a look into the psyche. The flow of them is quite alright; I like the rhythm.

I guess my main complaint with it is that for a lot of it it's quite *bare*. Like, too bare. I often feel the power of minimalism and slight bits of punctuation coming from higher percussion, almost as an almost unnoticeable cue for me to be aware that the lyrics are not falling where we stereotypically expect them to fall. Here, I feel like there's little if at all to ground me, to give me that sense of awareness, and that's what's leaving me stranded and struggling to hear the piece as if each element is falling on its intended space in time.

Kalviter responds:

Hey, thanks for giving this a look! Appreciate the comments on the way everything falls together, I was playing with a bit of a wonky flow on the 1st and 3rd verses, definitely something I need to practice if I wanna try it again.

There are many sudden dynamics, that could use a gentle buildup in the earlier minutes of the piece. Some parts actually do overpower the narration, more of a balancing issue than a musical one. For instance, the drumming over that narration talking about the Dublin bombings. (Incidentally, the reverb of some of the instruments also feels not fitting with the ambience.)

The chords and the dissonance are really on point. I love the musicality of this piece. The harp is nice and gentle and intriguing. The whole piece ebbs and flows with the emotions of the text, or the implications of the words, and they convey the feelings that the words convey pretty well.

Voice is a tad high, and not giving that extra bit of gravitas that could be used here. I'm not sure if it's the mic, or the voice. Fredrik Knudsen's kind of voice quality could see some use here, grave neutrality.

Codefreq responds:

Thank you!

I've always had trouble with balancing vocals with instrumentation. Usually the vocals are way too quiet when I mix it. I tried to get the voice louder than I'm normally comfortable with just to get it to be more easily heard, but it seems I didn't go far enough.

I appreciate the feedback and will keep in mind for future works. :)

Gives me a feeling that I occasionally get in some FPSes of conflict and tension. Those guitars towards the end, ohohoho ❤️

Mixing's quite good.

Not something worth docking points over, but in places where the drums are slower, flam on the snare drum could make quite a bit of difference 👀

Pronounced "trwa-nix." I dream up meepy dreams full of meep.
Currently doing things nonprofit.

Annette Singh @Troisnyx