View Profile Troisnyx

All 314 Audio Reviews

215 w/ Responses

I generally like progressive music, so as soon as I saw this, I thought, this is gonna be a fun listen. And it was! The basses here are a fine piece of work.

It's lacking a little pizzazz, that thing that makes it shine, in the first half and a bit of the second half — but otherwise, I can get down to this ever so well.

Cross-rhythms on higher-pitched percussion would seal the deal for me against a four-on-the-floor beat, re: how danceable a track is to me. ^_^ I think that that sort of thing might aid with the missing pizzazz.

It feels more "general funny" than stand-up comedy or pranks, to me.

I personally would argue for a bit more variation, because to me, that bassline combined with the octave is incredibly repetitive, and gives me a headache, as it is the first thing that sticks out... Even the melodies you have written above it are less perceptible.

schiamusic responds:

Thank you for your review, I'm making the things repetitive to make it more simple, but I must agree with you that's repetitive after hearing it again, is giving yourself a headache is a metaphor? sorry English is not my first language

Drums sound a little flat in the mix — heck, the mix sounds a flat altogether and each instrument could do with some EQ, a tiny little bit of ambient reverb, some compression — but I LOVE that guitar.

This is one of those pieces where I can hear, painfully in my heart, what's being attempted. When your production improves, please come back to this, because this is so nice.

The intro gave me chills, as well as the softer parts that reminded me of a rural idyll. The strings are on point.

I love the twists and turns you've given this piece, the key changes especially. When the choirs came in I recognised the rhythms as being very traditionally Korean, where the offbeats fall, and it put a huge smile on my face. I daresay this is your best personal piece yet. Have a good Seollal!

JessieYun responds:

I greatly appreciate your very kind comments, Trois. Really means a lot! <3

As I mentioned on YT: this gives me some serious Mike Shinoda vibes. This is beautiful!

In particular, I love how tight the rapping is, the crunch in the guitar, the layered, distorted screams, the beautiful lead guitar that floats above the voices like a little leaf being blown about by the strong winds.

RealFaction responds:

Thank you! You know one of my inspirations. I listened to his Post-Traumatic EP recently suggested by a friend, but also Linkin Park and P.O.D. on the road trip to where I am now from Florida, it helped me with the lyrics, that's music I grew up on, too.

I spent a couple weeks on the instrumental, had to tweak it a lot, and a few days on the vocals with the mixing and stayed up all night to finish it and the video haha. I didn't want to hold back. Thank you so much! I love the way you describe the lead like that. :)

Mixing feels nice and so does the general feel of the piece, which I think you nailed quite well.

But it feels a tad too stereotypical to me. I - VI - III - VII is another progression that can be quite overused. Often, the way to make it our own is to make something, a melody line, a riff, a progression, a rhythm, something which we can say is made by *us* and not plausibly made by someone else. I've heard others along the same lines (especially Phyrnna's "Heroes' March"), which would ordinarily sound stereotypical, but it isn't, because of that identifying string melody.

TL;DR: Mixing and instrumentation seem to give me no trouble; it just feels a tad formulaic to me.

Noiryx responds:

Hey Troisynx! Yeah, you're bang on. It's one of the "magic" chord progressions as known in the music industry haha.

I wrote this piece in a day so I definitely opted for something quick and simple, however that was the goal of the piece, to be adaptable (Like bread, able to be matched with many different flavours). I probably spent more time on the production than the actual composition haha! :)

Thanks for taking the time to review!

Never mind to me that the mix was muddy or that it was done in 10 hours; it is a gesture of love, and that is why I favourited it. Also, you gave that EWQL choir a bit and a bridle and tamed it decently, from what I can hear.

JessieYun responds:

Hey Troisnyx,
Thanks a lot for the comment! I guess I'll have to take a look if really sounds muddy again. And yeah, I had quite a hard time teaching my choir Korean, hahaha. Thanks for the fav!

You start your piece quite slow and soft, which reminds me of my favourite prelude from Chopin (number 25, iirc).

One thing I've noticed here is the four chords structure with melodies darting all over the place — I'd probably suggest these be toned down to the background, it risks getting atonal otherwise. Ending is also a bit abrupt, ya? Bit of decay there might help.

But otherwise, I like the feel it gives. It's chill, it's melancholic, it's pensive. I can see it being expanded into all sorts of things, or being left as is; I think what you have, with a bit of work, is versatile enough to adapt or leave in any which way you desire, which I quite like.

I first began by listening to this without headphones, and then with. Mixing is quite alright.

That lead that comes in along with the vocal line "things I'd do" feels a bit grating to me, like it's competing for attention. In fact, that vocal line itself does also grate on me after a while — over-repetition tends to do this to me.

There are elements of this that sound like a well done cinematic track (the bass, for instance, is on point). The bit when the drums have been toned down immediately after the intro and it builds up, that's another thing that brings cinematic to mind. And again, at about 1:59 (though it sounds more like a prechorus because of how strong the vocal line is, so it's not quite there). I kinda wish I heard more of that, TBH.

You have a good sense of buildup, tension and release, and I think it goes some way to counter the effects of the vocal and the lead. Bringing the drums back in on beat 2 of the bar instead of 1, for example; while I know I've heard this done elsewhere, it's still something that helps switch things up a bit.

I think the thing with me is that I'd open my ears a lot more to something that doesn't sound that it's been tried and tested so much. There's been plenty of house on BBC Radio 1 for me to listen to, for example, that after a while, I start filtering out things that are forgettable, and I frantically try to grasp memorable melody fragments and feelings, something that'll stay with me forever after having experienced the track. Here, it's hard for me to find any. I've listened to this track three times, and I'm struggling to recall much of what I've heard. I'd listen to it, I'd dance to it perhaps, but it feels very forgettable to me.

Oof at the title ;_;

It does give me the feeling of being starved of oxygen, or struggling to get some -- but whether it happens in space, is another matter -- I can also see it happening underwater or in some microgravity lab which, due to a disaster, is starved of oxygen.

I like the sense of buildup, and those countermelodies you introduce round the minute mark -- I love how subtle but powerful they are. The sparse instrumentation certainly lends itself to images of very stark surroundings. It's short and sweet. Well done!

AlbeGian responds:

Thank you troisnyx I'm really glad you liked it!!

Pronounced "trwa-nix." I dream up meepy dreams full of meep.
Currently doing things nonprofit.

Annette Singh @Troisnyx